With a compact design for solo shooters, for travel applications, and to serve as an ideal B cam, the Sony FX3 borrows from both the Cinema Line and Alpha series of cameras to create an optimized portable cinema camera. The FX3 features all the imaging attributes you’d expect from this class. Still, it sports a new lightweight, handheld form with a streamlined profile and a “cage-free” design offering the ability to secure various accessories directly to the camera body.
Firmware Update v.2.0
With firmware update 2.0, Sony aligns the FX3 more closely with its Cinema Line workflow. Updates include advanced log shooting choices, including Cine EI options, the ability to import user LUTs, timecode syncing via an optional cable, and an easier-to-operate camera interface.
When updating from v.1.01 or earlier:
- Note your chosen settings before updating since the process will initialize the camera and will be unable to read saved settings from v.1.01
- S-Log2 will no longer be included; you must use S-Log3
- Connecting to the Imaging Edge Mobile app has been made easier (see Smartphone Registration in the Help Guide); this requires updating the Mobile app to v. 7.7 or later and registering the camera as new.
- Note that the NFC one-touch connection function will no longer be available
Expressive UHD 4K Video Capture
The FX3‘s 12.1MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor (10.2MP effective in video mode) is paired with a BIONZ XR processor to achieve UHD 4K video capture with internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling or 16-bit raw output. The sensor’s BSI design heightens clarity and sensitivity, with an expandable ISO 80-409,600 range and greater-than-15-stop dynamic range for working in mixed lighting conditions. Benefitting color and tonal control, the S-Cinetone mode can be used for matching to VENICE, FX9, or FX6 sources, and there is also S-Log3/2 gamut support and 10-bit HLG for simple HDR productions. The sensor and processor also work together to reduce significantly rolling shutter, and the sensor’s design incorporates a Fast Hybrid AF system for intelligent and quick focusing performance and subject tracking.
4K Full-Frame CMOS Exmor R Sensor
A 12.1MP Exmor R sensor and BIONZ XR processor offer the FX3 true cinematic expression with 10.2MP effective video and 12.1MP stills capture. The full-frame sensor provides shallow depth of field looks, impressive bokeh, and reduced rolling shutter artifacts. A base sensitivity of 80-102,400 expands to a lofty 409,600 for impressive low-light capture, and 15+ stops of dynamic range reproduce the nuances of both spectacular exteriors and carefully lit interior scenes with plenty of allowance for color grading.
Beautiful skin tone reproduction and a softer-toned look that complements your VENICE, FX9, or FX6 footage are created using the FX3’s default S-Cinetone color setting. S-Log-3, S-Gamut3, S-Gamut3.Cine, and 10-bit 4:2:2 support help maintain rich gradation and color matching with the range of Sony Cinema Line cameras, while HLG HDR provides the option of direct HLG playback without the need for grading.
Capture sharp, detailed images at rates up to 4K 120p with up to 5x slow motion at 24p output. Recording options include the ability to output DCI 4K+ in 16-bit raw over HDMI to compatible recorders while simultaneously recording XAVC 4K and proxies in-camera. Internal 4K recording options include 4:2:2 10-bit color with All-Intra and Long GOP codecs.
- Cooling features like a silent fan and a heatsink dissipate warmth to enable uninterrupted recording up to 4K60
- Dual SD card slots accept both CFexpress Type A and SDXC cards for easy relay or backup recording
- Super35 1080p capture at rates up to 240p
- Now even solo shooters can keep the action in focus thanks to real-time Tracking and Eye autofocus functions made possible by AI-based algorithms plus a simple touchscreen focus function.
- Seven choices of AF Transition Speed let you rack focus, and five AF Subject Shift settings enable you to adjust the speed when shifting from a locked-on subject.
- Fast Hybrid AF uses 627 points to cover approximately 89% of the image frame
Ergonomic Form for Solo Operation
The FX3’s cage-free design enables you to mount ¼”-20 compatible accessories directly on the camera or on the detachable handle, saving you the weight and setup/breakdown time of a camera cage. The clustered record button, focus and menu controls, and six assignable buttons all help to enable single-handed control, leaving your left hand free for balancing or controlling your lens.
Easily Viewable Tally Lights
Top, front, and rear tally indicators let the operator, talent, and sound person know precisely when the camera is recording, enabling accurately timed movements and dialogue delivery.
Quality Audio Options
Pro audio recording options include:
- A detachable XLR adapter handle with two XLR-1/4″ TRS combo audio inputs
- A mic holder and a 3.5mm input for adding a microphone
- Up to 4-channel, 24-bit audio recording
Remote Control, Streaming, and Transfers
Control your sony FX3 remotely using the Imaging Edge Mobile or Imaging Edge Desktop apps, and transfer files using Wi-Fi or via a wired USB Type-C connector to let your editor get a jump on post-production. You can also stream your content using your computer and the Imaging Edge Webcam app.
Post-Production Stabilization with E-Mount Lenses
- Sony’s Catalyst Prepare/Browse software uses shake metadata to stabilize your image
- An adjustable balance between shake compensation and image area trimming lets you fine-tune the image
Improved FX3 Features
The sony FX3 updates the Cinema Line with improvements like comfortable, cage-free handheld operation, a battery runtime 1.6x longer than that of the a7S II, and a USB-PD power option for extended shooting times.
Common FX3/FX6/a7S III Features
Like the FX6 and the a7S III, the FX3 features:
- Full-frame, back-illuminated 12.1MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ XR processor
- High-speed rates of 120p in 4K and 240p in HD
- A dynamic range of 15+ stops
Shared FX3/FX6 Attributes
Attributes that the sony FX3 has in common with the larger FX6 camera include:
- S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG, and Rec. 709 gamma options
- Tally lamps on the front, side, and rear
- An internal fan to prevent overheating
- A zoom lever for easy frame adjustments
Shared FX3/a7S III Attributes
Attributes that the FX3 shares with the a7S III include:
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- 16-bit raw output via HDMI
- S-Log2 gamma choice
- 80 to 409,6000 ISO range (expanded)
- Dual-band 2.4/5 GHz wireless connectivity
- Wired LAN link using the USB Type-C port and a separate adapter